Tuesday, March 29, 2011

East Side Deli

I'm in the middle of reading this month's Saveur which is dedicated to sandwiches.  I've lived in Oregon 10 years now and as much as I love everything about this place....it only lacks a few things, as far as food is concerned.  I grew up in Pennsylvania and hoagies (subs to some of you), wings, and authentic pizzerias are as much common place as they are a lifeline.  Everyone has their favorites and they, and the establishments that thrive from selling them, are about as plentiful as coffee shops in the Northwest.  I keep searching for places to find these tasty bits, in order to at least "feel" closer to some of the only good things about the East Coast.  I just finished reading an article about good rye bread and earlier today had spotted the East Side deli, so I thought we should check it out.  Located at SE 47th, it is a small little place with only a couple of tables.  They have a decent selection of natural sodas and juices and carry just as many vege sandwiches as meat, as well as vegan options.  I had the Turkey Reuben which was pretty good.  Lots of Boars Head (awesome cold cuts from the East Coast) turkey, mild sauerkraut, and not too much thousand island dressing.  My man had a roast beef and swiss piled high with fresh cut veges and a spicy horseradish mustard.  Pretty good if you're looking for a quick bite.
http://www.pdxdeli.com/hawthorne/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment