Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Saveur

If you're a REAL foodie than you subscribe to at least one magazine that is at least 50% food.  And all those silly soccer mom magazines (Cooking Light, Everyday Food, etc, etc...) don't exactly count.  I guess they are decent in some respects, but I'm talking about magazines that educate you about food and where to get it.  My personal favorite is Saveur (also at www.saveur.com).  I consider it a food version of National Geographic.  The articles actually educate about the food and in most cases, the culture in where it comes from.  Save for the special editions like the Chef Favorites (January 2011 version....all chef picks) and this month's edition: "The Sandwich Issue".  If you like sandwiches....you have to read this one.  What I like about this magazine is it doesn't just talk about creative ingredients that you might have to look closer to find, but it also talks about plain jane, simply good food.  For instance, on page 44 Francine Prose, author of My New American Life, (Harper Collins, 2011), talks about the plain 'ol grilled cheese sandwich.  It reminds me of my childhood days on the farm when we had lunch with Grandma.  Her efforts in the kitchen were like magic.  She never had bread sitting out, but could some how whip up the best tuna fish sandwich I've ever had.  Brown bread, albacore tuna, light on the mayo, iceberg lettuce from the garden.....ah....heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment